SMILE is the latest, safest and most advanced procedure for laser vision correctness. Laser Vision Eye Centre was the first eye clinic to administer it in the South of the UK.
- At the end of last year more than 1.5 million eyes had been treated with Small Incision Lenticule Extraction (SMILE), the latest development in laser vision correction surgery. Laser Vision Eye Centre is the only provider of SMILE laser eye surgery in South Central England. To learn more about SMILE, visit the SMILE section of our website.
- The quality of vision after SMILE is excellent and the outcomes very stable, especially for correction of prescriptions of high myopia (short-sightedness).
- Significant dry eye is uncommon after SMILE – studies have shown that SMILE preserves the corneal nerves and ocular surface better than LASIK. The dry eye that contact lens wearers often experience actually improves after laser vision correction.
- There are no flap related complications with SMILE, as the procedure does not require a flap and is often described as ‘keyhole LASIK’.
- SMILE maintains better strength and biomechanical properties of the cornea than LASIK; in SMILE only a 3 mm incision is required, compared to 18-20 mm for LASIK.
- SMILE is completely painless during the procedure – the VisuMax femtosecond laser (Carl Zeiss Meditec AG) that is used for the procedure is the gentlest laser.
- SMILE is completely painless after the procedure – there is no planned epithelial defect, like in Advanced Surface Ablation or LASEK, and the incision is very small.
- Rubbing the eyes immediately after SMILE is without risk and comfortable.
- After SMILE you can resume swimming much sooner than with LASIK – the small incision heals very quickly, minimising any risk of infection.
- After SMILE you can return to normal sporting activities, no matter how vigorous, within a week – any minor eye injury will not compromise the outcome, as there is no flap.
Are you ready to leave your glasses or contact lenses behind? If you suffer from myopia (short-sightedness), hypermetropia (long-sightedness) or astigmatism, book a free screening appointment at our Laser Vision Eye Centre website or call 02381 810001. Our consultants will discuss your suitability for laser vision correction and the best treatment option for your needs.